Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Bye Bye 2013

   So 2013 is over now. All and all, a pretty good year. This also means my blog is officially a year old! I'm going to be changing layouts/deleting posts, house cleaning.

   These year end videos always make the year seem more monumental then it was. Sure, some milestones happened, but what year have milestones not happened? People always over romanticize the past, it's funny how quick the past becomes nostalgia. We like to believe that world changing things happen everyday, and maybe they do, but it is unfair to group an entire era, if you will, into that "summer haze" where everything becomes a golden age, or more extremely, to label an era world changing. I guess what I'm trying to say is it is the events that are world changing not the time surrounding them.

   Lately I've been writing/thinking about the idea of having a golden age, but I always imagined it in the future. Like, we're always imagining this utopia that's just around the corner, waiting. But that is a youthful perspective. For people my age, it is always about to happen, to people older,it's just passed. What they both share is that they are fake. One is optimistically looking toward a mythological idea that things are going to be perfect for everyone, the other is simply over romanticizing what has gone by.

   Y.O.L.O is often used as an excuse for immature behavior, but the message of "Live For Now" I can actually get behind because it encourages people to not look behind or in front of them, just enjoy this moment. However, I definitely think that we should think of the future because we won't get anything done otherwise, but I just don't think we should think of the future (or past) as better.

    On the other hand, the idea of a golden age can be really comforting, and if it helps people get through a difficult time, it's okay. But we can't be staring at the clock our entire lives, or reminiscing about old times.

    Anyway, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't indulge in stuff like this:


      My Year in Review:

*I officially became a teenager

*I went to Belgium (specifically Brussels, Brugges, and Hannut)

* Went to Paris for a few days

* Attended my first Rookie event & met Tavi Gevinson

* My most viewed post is The Fault in Our Stars
Dinner Recreated

1 comment:

  1. Thoughtful revisit of the year and a good approach toward life.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete