Tuesday, May 1, 2018

An Interview with Kate Gabrielle

Kate Gabrielle is one of the people that made me want to start this blog. Scathingly Brilliant is still one of the most carefully-crafted blogs I've come across, and her style is something I've desperately tried to rekindle in my own life, a quest that has led me to buy numerous products from her shop. Although Kate's tastes might be niche, I am so thankful that she chooses to share them and makes products for like-minded people. Kate treats the internet the way she would want to be treated, and her good attitude is contagious. It's nearly impossible to browse her shop, blog, or Instagram page without smiling uncontrollably. As a longtime fan, it meant the world to be able to ask her a few question.



What work are you most proud of?
I'm especially proud of my Time Machine to the '90s kits. I am so smitten with the concept; I really enjoy putting them together, and I especially love when I hear back from people who opened up the kits and experienced the kind of nostalgia overload that I was hoping to achieve when I came up with the idea in the first place.

Who do you think is the most creative person alive?
That's so tough! Personally, I'm really inspired by someone like Mindy Kaling who's a modern renaissance woman -- she acts, directs, writes TV, writes books, produces content, and still has more than enough wit and energy left over to run an ace Instagram and Twitter. I feel like my own creativity can only stretch so far most days, so I'm in awe of people who seem to have extra to spare!

What's the best piece of storytelling you've ever encountered?
Off the top of my head, I'd have to say the movie Jules and Jim.

What's the hardest part about running your own business?
Definitely the hardest part is having erratic income. It can be very hard to maintain a positive attitude when I have a slow week (or month...or year...)

What's the most rewarding part?
As often as I've flirted with the idea of giving this all up in exchange for a steady paycheck, getting to work from home, set my own hours, and hang out with my cat all day is definitely the most rewarding part of running my own business. In fact, it's SO rewarding that after spending over a decade of struggling to make ends meet I still won't give it up for a more consistent income lol!

What are your favorite movies to take fashion inspiration from? What's your most cinematic outfit?
Definitely 1960s movies! Everything from simple, chic outfits in French dramas to outlandish, bright, embellished, over-the-top outfits in comedies. The 1960s is where I get almost all of my fashion inspiration from. I think my most cinematic outfit would be my New Year's outfit from 2017: http://scathingly-brilliant.blogspot.com/2017/01/happy-new-year.html



How do you come up with ideas for pins/patches/shirts?
Pretty much every item in my shop came from me wanting to own something that didn't already exist yet. It's probably not the best way to run a business, since sometimes I have very obscure interests lol! But it definitely makes things fun, and I genuinely love every single pin, patch, or t-shirt that I add to my shop because it came from a desire to own it myself.

What's your favorite cat-related piece of clothing you own?
I have so many favorites but I think this one from Joanie Clothing is my current favorite. I haven't worn it in an outfit post yet but I love the vintage cat print and the shirt dress style is so unusual for a novelty print like this. I love it!

You definitely spread positivity through your work. What's the best compliment anyone has ever given you?
Honestly, hearing that I spread positivity through my work is one of the best compliments I've ever received. Thank you!



What is something you regret not buying?
When I was in high school I saw a skirt with a Monet landscape all-over print in a Delia*s catalog, and I still regret that I didn't get it. I collect old Delia*s catalogs now and I'm still looking for the one that includes the skirt, just so I can see it again at least.


Photo credits - Kate Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment