Friday, December 19, 2014

High School

I started high school, and after finishing my first semester I think it's time I collected my thoughts on the subject.

Here is a brief description of a homecoming rally:

A gym overflowing, students teeming out of the doll sized bleachers, the overspill, mostly freshman, sitting on the ground of the basketball court. Crudely affixed tape the only barrier between absolute chaos. Handmade signs, so sapping with glitter they sagged out onto kids' heads, reading "Salty Sophmores" and other ill thought out insults. Sweat rising to misty smoke atop the industrial lights. Kids with school color smeared faces read a skit, unintelligible between screaming and the sound system cutting out. A small ring of students gather in the middle of the floor to perform. One of the students rips his shorts and shirt off to reveal pink booty shorts with "Seniors" printed on them, indistinguishable writing on his back. Shouting, shouting yelling shouting yelling. The football players thrash like monsters, feeding on the unconditional worship handed to them on a silver platter by the rest of the school. The cheerleaders shimmy around the football players to "Anaconda" before the gathering is disbanded and I make a b line for the nearest exit before I hurl at the disgusting, grotesque display.

Sometimes I wonder, can't they think of anyone but themselves? Can't they take a break from their self absorption and have a decent conversation? But then I realize this is the one chance they have to explore the universe inside themselves. And maybe I'm the one missing out.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry its not poetically out. Finals used up all my thinking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well congrats on your first semester of high school! My first semester was hell because I knew absolutely no one. In a way, it kind of turned into a movie with drama sophomore and junior year, relationships, adventures, and just pure bliss with a tiny pinch of chaos senior year. All in all, I became one of the cool popular kids, but not like the ones in movies, those are jerks. ;P
    I'm assuming your school is pretty large; my high school consisted of one building, two parking lots, and two basketball courts!
    I hope you get to enjoy your time in high school. It has changed a lot from when I was there (4 years ago ;___;) so the best advice I think I can give is to just do your own thing, regardless of "peer pressure" or fads. Not everyone has a great high school experience, but I hope you get to live it the way you like. :)

    P.S: I loathe that "Anaconda" song! I love the original song (Sir Mix-A-Lot) which Nicki Minaj sampled it from, but she completely ruined it. -___-

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good advice! I'll remember that:) And I think had they not played Anaconda, my experience of the rally may have been slightly better lol XD

      Delete
  3. I love this! I'm sorry I haven't been reading lately because of the same reasons you explained above. Your input on our first semester was pretty spot on. Your rally experience reminded me of that night...oh how the rain poured down. High school memories don't fully take place on campus.

    I'm so proud of you; your blog is looking amazing. You're doing such good things and I'm glad I can call you my best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Glad you approve of the new template!

      Delete