Thursday, December 21, 2017

4 Questions with Julian Morgans, editor of Vice Australia

Vice is one of the most provocative and daring websites out there. What is it actually like to work at such an audacious online publication? I contacted Julian Morgans, editor of vice.com Australia, to see how he got where he is and what it's like to be there.

1. What's the best part of your job?
I basically come up with and shape stories for our site. And the range of human experiences I get to explore is amazing. We can do stories about anything, anywhere, and tell them however we feel will work best. There's a lot of freedom that makes me feel pretty lucky.

2. What's the hardest part about your job?
Being creative, all the time. Trying to come up with the next idea or find the next story that'll drive traffic. Also admin. If I wanted to I could do admin 24/7 and nothing else.

3. What advice do you have for a young journalist?
Find stories with amazing pictures. You know what people like on the internet? Photos. So make the visuals your starting point for finding and telling stories.

4. What is your education?
I studied film and Swinburne before working t Matchbox Pictures, while also freelancing for Broadsheet, Vulture, and VICE. Then I got a job at Vice and stopped freelancing,

No comments:

Post a Comment