Saturday, March 17, 2018

An Interview with Camila (@etherealartiste)

You may better know Camila by her instagram handle @etherealartiste. It's easy to see why she's amassed so many followers. Camila's art really takes me back, and not in a cheesy, saccharin sort of way. It doesn't remind me of any rose-tinted, nostalgic era of human history. It doesn't even make me nostalgic for a certain period in my own life, at least in the traditional sense. There's no imagery that hearkens back to playground antics. No, Camila's art takes me back on a different, much deeper level. It reminds me of the days when I could explore the realms of my imagination without distinguishing it from the real world. Her paintings of fantastical women, angelic faeries, and magical beings reminds me of a time when I thought that these creatures could exist in this world. The inspiration she takes from the natural world is apparent, and it makes her extraordinary characters seem rooted in authenticity. Not only that, but Camila brings a fresh and futuristic perspective to somewhat familiar concepts that makes me still believe that these creatures do exist somewhere in our world, at least in spirit. Camila even resembles her charming creations, both in their beauty and their strength.

1. What work are you most proud of?

I think the piece I'm most proud of has to be my "Oh, Honey." piece. At the time of making her, I didn't expect or foresee the type of attention that she'd get. I made her about a year ago, and to this day she is still a favorite amongst the people who follow my art and myself as well. I remember when I was in the middle of creating her, everything came so naturally. I didn't have a plan for what I was going to create, but the concept just kind of rolled off my fingers.

Image of Oh, Honey.
Source

2. What do you consider to be your greatest artistic failure?

I think right now it's hard to say what my "greatest artistic failure" is, as I am still very early in my art career. What I can say is I wish in the earlier years of this art journey I didn't allow myself to be so easily doubtful towards myself and my ability/skill. There were times where I'd take months off from creating because I was so discouraged every time I would go on social media. I always compared my work to others who were at this way longer than I was. In time, I learned not to, to instead be inspired by them, or to let that "envy/self-doubt" fuel me to be better and practice more.

3. What artists inspire you? What are your other sources of inspiration?

The artists I am heavily inspired by right now are @tinayuartist, @wendyortiz and @relmxx - honestly the list can go on and on. My other sources of inspiration are simply from anything around me. I am most inspired by nature. From flowers to animals to natural color palettes, etc etc. For other sources I tend to go on Pinterest and scroll through to find images that have a motivational strike within me!

4. Who do you think is the most creative person on earth right now?

I think the most creative person right now would be Elon Musk. I'm sure that there are so many people who are extremely creative that I've never heard of or know about but that's the first person that came to mind.

5. What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?

I have a lot of weird dreams that are quite hard to understand/describe. Most of the time they are random jumbles of things. I can't give you an exact one because I usually forget them after I wake up.

6. Does your personal style reflect your artistic style?

Yes, most definitely. I really love things that are colorful, cute, and magical. My room is decorated with twinkly lights, butterflies, dried hung flowers, and figurines of my liking in every nook and cranny. I really love decorating and making things feel "enchanting," and I think with my art I try to do the same as well.


7. Describe yourself in three words.

Kind, understanding, loving.

8. How has your artistic style evolved over the years? What about it remains constant?

Now and then I try to look back at my older works to see how much I've improved. I think overall my artistic skills/understanding has taken significant improvements. There is always room to improve but looking back is a good way to give yourself the pat on the back you deserve for how far you've come. What remains constant in my art is the passion, drive, and subject. I tend to draw/paint women, and I can't really say why but it's what I enjoy most.

You can buy Camila's work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment