Saturday, February 9, 2019

tell me it's not just a sad dream


Many people think that my artistic sensibilities/writing/work are frivolous, which is something that used to annoy me, but now I accept it. Who wants to take themselves so seriously anyway?


I won't pretend to be something I'm not. I've talked a lot on here about how I like pink, and HelloKitty, and dresses, etc. and how none of these things make me dumb, or less of a feminist, or not deserving of respect. 


That said, I could sacrifice my excessively feminine personal style to be seen as more professional (I shouldn't have to anyway, but that's the world we live in, and if I really wanted to be seen as smart and businesslike I would conform to the ideal of what a professional woman should look like). 


But I'm not willing to do that, so clearly being perceived as put-together by others is not a huge priority of mine. Now I think it's funny, the assumptions people make about me. I used to be angered by them, but I think true self-confidence is putting less weight on what other people think.


If anyone bothered to have a conversation with me, they would quickly realize my intellectual prowess, and I'm not interested in the opinion of anyone that won't even have a conversation with me.


Conversely, I've also noticed that, because I don't incorporate too many trends into my own personal style, many cool, stylish people will also criticize my style as not being hip enough or indie enough or what have you.


I had a friend (her style, at least at the time, I would describe as classic alternative kid) who confessed that before she knew me, she and another friend would make fun of my excessively twee style. She said, "But then I realized you were doing what I was doing, just wearing what you wanted and not worrying about it."


Although I am glad my friend had this revelation, I wonder why it took her so long to arrive at the conclusion that most people pretty much wear what they want.


No comments:

Post a Comment